FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Simply Addicted Forum Index  Log in  Register
My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simply Addicted Forum Index -> Random BooK Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Random, but: Is the name "Campbell Alexander"...
A backward name
 28%  [ 2 ]
A cool name
 0%  [ 0 ]
A backward AND cool name
 42%  [ 3 ]
Soup O_O
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Message
Lil
Weasley Groupie


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3392
Location: flying around the globe with Ash...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really matter how many other roles they have or haven't been offered? The point is that this is the movie they are making now and it does add authenticity and helps get into character to actually shave your head. I know what you're trying to say... Obviously all actors/actresses want to get offered more roles and everything, but shaving their head doesn't necessarily mean they don't have any more movies lined up.
Besides, just as they can wear those bald caps, they can wear wigs in other movies if they so choose.
I just think that it will really help Sophie to shave her head. I know she is an actor and experienced, but she is still young and it will help get her into the right mindset. Lots of actors spend time living like their character to help understand and better portray the role.

Either way, its done now. Whether it was the Fanning sisters's decision or their mothers, it doesn't really matter now. We don't really know how they acted toward the information... The press can be pretty unreliable.

Anyway. I'm kinda getting excited now. But feel like I'm betraying the book.. Haha oh gosh. I'm guilty for betraying a book. That isn't sad, is it?
_________________

Ammy wrote:
It's alright, though, because I have bigger things to worry about than a middle aged man calling himself "Lil" ...Like TMNBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see Cameron Diaz as Sara.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeeeee! News on the movie from Jodi:

"During a brief visit to the LA set last week I had the pleasure of meeting many of the actors, and watching them work. Cameron Diaz and Jason Patric are brilliantly portraying Sara and Brian Fitzgerald - you’re going to be very impressed. As for the Anna and Kate’s characters, Abigail Breslin and Sofia Vassilieva are such remarkable little actresses that they literally had the entire crew in tears during one particularly emotional scene - an assistant was handing out Kleenex! Kudos to Nick Cassavetes, the very gifted director who is working all this magic. I will be going back to the set soon, meeting the rest of the actors (including Joan Cusack and Alec Baldwin) and will post more about my second visit - I can’t wait!"

Tears!!!!!!! I can't wait for the movie to come out.

ALSO, Change of Heart has come out! GO READ IT!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY. IT'S AMAZING. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING. So incredibly thought-provoking. You're questioning the death penalty, and religion, and just... read it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Lil
Weasley Groupie


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3392
Location: flying around the globe with Ash...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M NOT ALLOWED TO!

I banned myself from reading any new books until my current pile of to-read books lowers itself a bit.

Its a stupid ban but I should stick by it.

For another week or so, anyway...
_________________

Ammy wrote:
It's alright, though, because I have bigger things to worry about than a middle aged man calling himself "Lil" ...Like TMNBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO! You must read this as soon as you can! A Jodi Picoult book!
Lots of exclamations because this warrants it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Lil
Weasley Groupie


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3392
Location: flying around the globe with Ash...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't worry. That ban has officially ended seeing as I now have added dvds to this pile. Now I am currently reading two books, watching Robin Hood episode by episode, have 4 more dvds to watch and about 7 more books. Alas.

That, and I got a borders voucher for my birthday. Mwahahaha.. That book shall be MINE!!!!!!!
_________________

Ammy wrote:
It's alright, though, because I have bigger things to worry about than a middle aged man calling himself "Lil" ...Like TMNBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to buy the book. I'm going to wait for it to get to the library (in a smaller version).

I went to the bookstore and the book is SO atrociously big, it looks like a monster compared to the other books (it hit #01 apparently), and anyway it's like 30 centimetres long and 20 centimetres wide. There's no way I'll be able to carry and read that properly!

I'm just going to have to wait.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to buy the book. I'm going to wait for it to get to the library (in a smaller version).

I went to the bookstore and the book is SO atrociously big, it looks like a monster compared to the other books (it hit #01 apparently), and anyway it's like 30 centimetres long and 20 centimetres wide. There's no way I'll be able to carry and read that properly!

I'm just going to have to wait.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, they all come out in this size at the start.
wait for allen & unwin to publish it in a smaller size.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah.

I was just flipping through My Sister's Keeper today when I came across the part at the front of the book where there is an extremely disturbing two paragraphs about some messed-up girl who tries to kill her sister? It really ruined my overall perception of the book (and the author). Was that Jodi, recounting her horrible deeds to the entire public??!?!

Can someone tell me what that was, because it left me really disturbed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?! You hadn't read that part before you read the rest of the book?

Izzy!!!! That part added to the entire book. The first time you read it, you assume that it's Anna who's doing it, but then you finish the entire book, and think it over. Slowly, you come to realise that it could have been Kate. In my opinion, it WAS Kate, and I love that I could look at that differently after having read the entire novel.

I can't remember it exactly, but you assume it's Anna at first, seeing as she's bitter about always being the one who supplies her blood, etc to keep Kate alive. But it could have been Kate, who's never led a normal life, and is always the sick child. When they were younger, she could have been jealous of Anna for being "normal".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh phew! Thanks. That really calmed me down, for one minute I thought that was a guilty Jodie admitting she killed her sister... what? I was sort of in shock. And anyway, it was really creepy. She placed poison on the cornflakes? Ungrateful bitch.

I probably passed it over because it was in italics and usually that's just the author thanking people. That's why I for some reason liked all the characters in that book. Now I hate Katie. Oh well, there always has to be one character that I have to hate... Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammy wrote:

I can't remember it exactly, but you assume it's Anna at first, seeing as she's bitter about always being the one who supplies her blood, etc to keep Kate alive. But it could have been Kate, who's never led a normal life, and is always the sick child. When they were younger, she could have been jealous of Anna for being "normal".


It definitely was Kate. Because in the end it says something along the lines of, "In the end my sister died. And it wasn't my fault. At least I think it wasn't." Something like that. Definitely Kate I reckon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahaha.
Actually, the thought of Jodi admitting to killing a sister is funny. It would just be so odd to confess that in a novel.

I don't know whether I blame Kate or Anna (depending on who did it) for it. In my mind, it was Kate, and she was young then. Spending her life in a hospital must have been horrible, and little kids easily get jealous of their siblings.

It's like when a younger sister/brother is born. The older kid usually feels jealous at having the attention taken off them, and although this is NOTHING like what happened in Kate's case, you can understand why a young child would do so something like that. Even though the poison is a little weird.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, here we go again.

They might change the ending to My Sister's Keeper.
!%$#@!#$%

Instead of the current ending, they're considering changing it to a pizza party. A PIZZA PARTY, PEOPLE! A FREAKING. PIZZA. PARTY. I'm just going to go over there and shoot myself now.

Also, Jodi Picoult is fighting this idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
feellikethenight
Innovator


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5866
Location: travelling the world with Lil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean a pizza party? how would a pizza party make sense?

like instead of the trial they're at a pizza party? or going to one post-trial?

sheesh.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post-trial, I think. Cutting out Anna's death, and just having a pizza party. Because a party would make so much sense, having just signed Kate's death certificate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
feellikethenight
Innovator


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5866
Location: travelling the world with Lil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um...that makes no sense whatsoever.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! I really hope Jodi is able to lobby for the original ending successfully.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell? Are you serious -- a pizza party? I think someone's been passing around misleading information, why would anyone want to do that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodi said it herself on her site, and in an interview.

But I can't get over the sheer stupidity of this idea. I mean, a pizza party? Give me a freaking break.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Lil
Weasley Groupie


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3392
Location: flying around the globe with Ash...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT THE F$%#?!?!!?!?

Are you freaking serious? As in, cutting out ANNA'S DEATH?!
THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE BOOK?!

Okay, fine. Its not the entire point.
BUT SERIOUSLY!

My god.

Plus, PIZZA PARTY?!

It could at least be a fairy party. Yeeeesh.
_________________

Ammy wrote:
It's alright, though, because I have bigger things to worry about than a middle aged man calling himself "Lil" ...Like TMNBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quote from the source:

Quote:
"Well, I have the mother of all questions," Picoult says. "I want to know if [the studio is] going to change the ending of 'My Sister's Keeper' in the film or if they will return back to my ending."

We won't spoil it here, but it's safe to say that Picoult's 2004 bestseller ended with the kind of bang that compels readers to shove the book into fresh hands just so they'll have someone to talk it over with. According to Picoult, the director is flirting with replacing her shocking ending with a pizza party.


And here's the source:
http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2008/04/11/jodi_picoult/

In an issue of her newsletter, she also mentions it, but she doesn't specify it's a pizza party. She did in the above interview, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god, how could the director be so idiotic and stupid? Did he even READ the book properly? How are they ever going to incorporate a pizza party at the end? Maybe they're going to turn the book into some feel-good-flick. What a stupid idea, a pizza party DOES NOT work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Lil
Weasley Groupie


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3392
Location: flying around the globe with Ash...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... My Sisters Keeper? Feel good?


*whacks head on desk*

Oh. God.
_________________

Ammy wrote:
It's alright, though, because I have bigger things to worry about than a middle aged man calling himself "Lil" ...Like TMNBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, the thought of it. We don't want a sappy happy story.
(Just wanted the rhyme there. Don't blame me)

But a feel good story it is not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
feellikethenight
Innovator


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5866
Location: travelling the world with Lil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of is a "feel good" story though - Kate doesn't take her sister for granted, and appreciates what happens and holds on to her memory. The whole idea that something good can come from something bad.

Definitely not happy though. PIZZA PARTY???

seriously, that makes me feel kind of sick.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may have been moments like that, but when I finished the book, I left with a depressed feeling. I bawled my eyes out.

Can you imagine the direction for the possible pizza party? Campbell is there, with Julia on one arm, and it's in the lounge room of the Fitzgerald house. Everyone's laughing, and then Campbell breaks away to make a toast. "To Anna!"

....*shudder*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feellikethenight wrote:
It kind of is a "feel good" story though - Kate doesn't take her sister for granted, and appreciates what happens and holds on to her memory. The whole idea that something good can come from something bad.


That sort of makes the whole thing even sadder. Kate's epilogue was one of the saddest parts of the whole book, which basically was one depressing story -- all the character's lives were side-tracked for Kate -- it's not a "feel good" story at all IMO.

I can imagine them going for a simple, peaceful ending, but a pizza party would just completely disrupt the mood of the movie at the end. I think there should be something light-hearted, like Kate reflecting over Anna in a hospital bed at the end or Kate coming home from the hospital, something like that.

Definitely not a party where everyone's laughing -- that would just ruin everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the movie, Anna won't be dying. Her death was random and out-of-nowhere in the book... how random would it be in the movie? I think there's going to be some cheesy ending, like some random donor ends up sponsoring Kate and they all survive and live happy lives together. And they have a pizza party to celebrate...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Lil
Weasley Groupie


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3392
Location: flying around the globe with Ash...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

... Her death wasn't random and out of nowhere! That basically made the book. Well, for me anyway. I guess.. Well, I'm sure if you study this book properly you'll get all the meanings behind Anna's death. For me it was just showing the inevitability of death, and how both daughters (and son) lives were all equally important. Kate's life shouldn't have been more important than Anna's.

Thats just the way I took it though. It still would have been a good book without Anna's death, I guess... But just the fact that she did die. God, thats what made me love My Sister's Keeper so much! It could just be me, though. I just love it when any book makes the protaganist / a key character die. Not because I'm morbid or anything! I just don't think novels have enough death in them sometimes. Death is a huge part of life, and I love when novels take that into account. I know not every character experiences a lot of death etc etc, this is just my point of view.
_________________

Ammy wrote:
It's alright, though, because I have bigger things to worry about than a middle aged man calling himself "Lil" ...Like TMNBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think her death was random, in one sense of the word. Nowadays there are many different connotations associated with the word "random" so the thought that her death was random seems a little odd. There's definitely a better word to describe Anna's death, but either it doesn't exist or I can't think of it right now.

The book was already made better Anna died. That final event, however, just sealed it. Forever. Never to be questioned. Ever. Ever. Ever.
I remember that before her death, I was thinking, "Oh my god, this is one of the most amazing books ever." I was ready to force every single one of my friends to read it, and shackle them to a chair if that was what it took to get them started. And then Anna died. I was completely shattered.

Lil, I definitely agree with your opinion on Anna's death. It really showed that both of their lives were important, and that taking someone for granted is the worst thing you can do because you never know when you can lose them. Sara and Brian spent so many a good third of their life dreading Kate's death, because she was the one with cancer, and she was the one who spent most of her life on a hospital bed. But then it was Anna who died, and that really showed that anyone can die, at any moment. Freak accidents do happen, and they do take lives. I mean, you're more likely to be in a road accident than to get cancer.

If they find a last-minute donor in the film and celebrate with a party (which sounds horribly like the direction Hollywood seems to take time and time again), I'll probably kill myself. Figuratively. hehehe. Now I'm laughing at the thought of writing morbid poetry in which I kill myself.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Freak accidents do happen, and they do take lives. I mean, you're more likely to be in a road accident than to get cancer.


True. But people don't die - usually, anyway - in such convenient situations. After chapters and chapters in which Picoult informed the reader about proposals and directions in which the case could take, she just killed off Anna. Just like that. When it happened, I just went: O_O mainly because I liked the character - I did the exact same thing when Kate died in After The First Death (but her situation was WAY worse than the one Anna was in, can't even compare them - well you can, but not really).

But a lot of people claimed that it was a "cop-out" from Picoult and it sort of was. I mean, it was an amazing ending, but it WAS shockingly out-of-place. It seemed unnecessary in the book, how bad will it seem in the movie?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Lil
Weasley Groupie


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3392
Location: flying around the globe with Ash...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammy, what you were just saying about Brian and Sara spending a good third of their lives waiting for Kate to die reminds me of this quote I've seen around. I'm not sure how it is exactly word-for-word, or who said it, but its pretty influential.
"People look at my foot and see the cancer that isn't there. The cancer is everywhere now."

If anyone knows who said it.. that could be helpful.

Izzy, I still don't understand how you find it "shockingly out-of-place". I'm not bagging your argument or anything, I just don't understand. Do you mean in the way of.. Maybe you just weren't expecting Anna to die? Well, duh, nobody was expecting Anna to die. What I'm trying to say is, maybe the reason you found it so shocking was because you were so focused on Kate dying as well. (I'm not saying you specfically, just in general).

Huh. I'm not too sure myself what I'm trying to get at.

I don't know. I still don't find it that out of place. Sure, it was shocking and "woah!" but I don't know about out of place.

Ammy, I completely agree with the sealing of the awesomeness. I think I was only halfway through and I was already feeling like this book was one of the most brilliant I've read to date.

I can see how people think it is a cop-out, but I honestly don't think it is. I mean, its Jodi Picoult. How many fabulous books with controversial issues/topics has she written? If there were to be a different outcome in relation to Kate dying and not Anna, or some other solution-- or no solution, just anything, I think Picoult could have pulled it off. She is an amazing writer and researches so in-depth. I believe that, if she wanted to, she could have had the ending in what others would call a less "cop out" way.

I love the fact that Anna dies. Just everything I and Ammy previously stated... I think Picoult did well in this ending.

Its weird when you said "Picoult killed off Anna", Izzy. Haha, I think its my brain.. but.. I was like "what do you mean?! Picoult didn't kill her off! SHE DIED!" .. Like the character was real and Picoult didn't have a choice. I guess thats my brain for you. Characters seem so real to me... Hehe I think its a good thing. I don't care if I'm sane or not!!
_________________

Ammy wrote:
It's alright, though, because I have bigger things to worry about than a middle aged man calling himself "Lil" ...Like TMNBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ammy
Edward's Secret Lover


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 3762
Location: over there! haha, tricked you, fools

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think Anna’s death was “convenient”. In fact, I think that is actually the wrong word for what you’re trying to say, Izzy, but because I understand what you mean, I’ll just comment on that.

Anna’s death was sudden. There’s really no other way to put it. It was sudden and unexpected. But doesn’t that reflect reality perfectly? Deaths like these cannot be predicted, and the shock that comes with it hits you hard. Just like it did in the book. You might say that this just added to the already emotion-heavy book, but isn’t that just the beauty of this? In real life, the events prior to an accident would have NOTHING to do with the accident occurring (only indirectly, e.g. you were travelling along that road because you’d just run away from home). It doesn’t matter whether your life is already depressing. An accident is an accident.

Can an accident ever be “in-place”? There’s no way it would seem normal that an accident should occur. Actually, Lil’s point about our focus being on Kate is perfect. That’s exactly what any reader would be doing, only to be hit by Anna’s death.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Izzy_The_Goddess
Another Cable


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 2248
Location: ...I thought you had the map?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its weird when you said "Picoult killed off Anna", Izzy. Haha, I think its my brain.. but.. I was like "what do you mean?! Picoult didn't kill her off! SHE DIED!" .. Like the character was real and Picoult didn't have a choice. I guess thats my brain for you. Characters seem so real to me... Hehe I think its a good thing. I don't care if I'm sane or not!!


Hahaha, yeah. I was thinking of the book-story as a text when I wrote that.

Quote:
I can see how people think it is a cop-out, but I honestly don't think it is. I mean, its Jodi Picoult. How many fabulous books with controversial issues/topics has she written? If there were to be a different outcome in relation to Kate dying and not Anna, or some other solution-- or no solution, just anything, I think Picoult could have pulled it off. She is an amazing writer and researches so in-depth. I believe that, if she wanted to, she could have had the ending in what others would call a less "cop out" way.


But she had so many - SO many - chapters devoted to the whole case, and the readers were anxious to find out who would win. The story was so tense, and just reaching the end, I couldn't wait to find out who would win, and it was all so confusing and muddling, and then when Anna got the choice...

She died. Just like that. I just went: WHAT? It was so unbelievable, for me.

Quote:
Izzy, I still don't understand how you find it "shockingly out-of-place". I'm not bagging your argument or anything, I just don't understand. Do you mean in the way of.. Maybe you just weren't expecting Anna to die? Well, duh, nobody was expecting Anna to die. What I'm trying to say is, maybe the reason you found it so shocking was because you were so focused on Kate dying as well. (I'm not saying you specfically, just in general).


Well, so much of the book was devoted to the court case, then Anna died. I guess, dubbing it, "shockingly out-of-place" was the wrong way to put it, but it was sort of... shocking, and unrealistic. \

Quote:
I don’t think Anna’s death was “convenient”. In fact, I think that is actually the wrong word for what you’re trying to say, Izzy, but because I understand what you mean, I’ll just comment on that.


It was convenient for Jodi.

Quote:
Anna’s death was sudden. There’s really no other way to put it. It was sudden and unexpected. But doesn’t that reflect reality perfectly? Deaths like these cannot be predicted, and the shock that comes with it hits you hard. Just like it did in the book. You might say that this just added to the already emotion-heavy book, but isn’t that just the beauty of this? In real life, the events prior to an accident would have NOTHING to do with the accident occurring (only indirectly, e.g. you were travelling along that road because you’d just run away from home). It doesn’t matter whether your life is already depressing. An accident is an accident.


Anna was about to make a major decision in her life - and then she just died. Yes, that is part of the book that makes it so amazing - not for me so much, but for other people, yes - but I just didn't see it coming, it wasn't realistic. I'm guessing this reviewer on Amazon put it quite well:

The book was great. The ending was all wrong. - K.G. Havemann

I have never read any of Jodi Picoult's books before but this one intrigued me so much that, as I approached the end, I was prepared to read more of her. I was thoroughly captivated by the not-so-unreal issue of a daughter genetically engineered for the sole purpose of saving her sister's life from a rare form of leukemia. Unbeknownst to the parents, however, the innocuous use of the baby's umbilical cord blood was not the beginning of two wonderful lives. The new daughter, Anna, is used over and over again for the next 13 years to save her sister's life over and over again. When she's not being a lifesaver, however, Anna feels invisible as a daughter. Finally, when only a kidney will do the trick, not the easily given and replaceable blood, bone marrow, and blood products, Anna rebels and decides it's her body and she no longer wants to give it up. She hires a lawyer and sues her parents for medical emancipation.

What follows is a wonderfully evocative story, told from the viewpoints of all the players, all very fascinating in their own rights. I have a daughter who is an 11-year cancer survivor so I know so much of this book rings very true. I had to stop every few pages to think about the issues and how I might respond were I living THIS story, not my daughter's whose treatment and outcome were so successful and required only anonymous blood and platelet donors. My only complaint is with the characterization of the mother, Sara, which seems a bit one-dimensional. Picoult does not show us the soul beneath Sara's obsession, everyone else be damned, to save her older daughter's life.

But then, just as the reader is preparing for one of two or three possible, conceivable, endings, Picoult does something for which I cannot forgive her. She throws in an ending for which no one can be prepared and for which no one SHOULD be prepared. It was gratuitous, capricious, disjunctive, and entirely unnecessary. It will be a long long time before I ever pick up another Jodi Picoult book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Simply Addicted Forum Index -> Random BooK Stuff All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2007-2008 Informe.com. Get Free Forum Hosting
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
 :: 
BBTech Template by © 2003-04 MDesign